Runde Rural District Council Strategic Plan Meeting

Preamble

From the 4th to 6th of April 2018, Runde Rural District Council (Runde RDC, the Council, the RDC) conducted its five-year (2013 – 2018) Strategic Plan review through the support of Zimbabwe Environmental Law Association (ZELA).  The review comes at a time when the Government is now demanding restructuring of the Councils annual budget expenditures with Administration costs constrained to 30% leaving 70% towards service delivery from the collected revenue. The RDC reviewed its six core departments namely Social service, Finance, Audit, Environment and Agriculture, Road Planning and works, Human Resources and Administration. Runde RDC is responsible for the economic, social and environmental management and development of the district of Zvishavane. Runde is endowed with significant and diverse mineral wealth. Mineral reserves found within the district include platinum, diamonds, gold, and asbestos being exploited by large and artisanal and small-scale miners.  In the attendance were RDC staff, Councillors from Runde region, District Development Fund (DDF), Zvishavane Community Share Ownership Trust, Traditional leaders, The Adventist Development and Relief Agency (ADRA) Zimbabwe, Ministry of Youth and Environmental Management Agency(EMA).

The Objectives of the Meeting were to:

  • To Review Runde RDC’s 2013-2018 strategic plan
  • To domesticate the African Mining Vision and other best practice on mineral resource governance during the strategic planning meeting

The meeting was facilitated by Mr Mukosera from Ministry of Local Government. Mr Moyo the Runde RDC CEO gave the welcome remarks and highlighted the workshop objectives. “The centre for excellence in the provision of quality and sustainable social and economic development for rural communities by 2020”, this is the new vision that was endorsed during the Vision review session.

During the deliberations, six groups were created to review each department of the Council highlighting its Objectives in 2017, what they have achieved in the year, their overall target, Challenges they and their recommendations.

Comments for this post are closed.