Due date for applications: 23 May 2020
The Zimbabwe Environmental Law Association is calling for applications from suitably qualified individuals to fill the position of Economic Governance Officer that has arisen within the organization.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
• Assists the organisation in designing and implementing strategic and innovative programme ideas on economic and financial governance in the extractive and natural resources sector.
• Carries out economic policy research and advocacy on mining and natural resources
• Proposes approaches and strategies to inform the organization on how to engage in high level dialogues with government, mining companies and donors on extractive on natural resources sector issues.
• Trains community groups, civil society, government departments, parliamentarians and other stakeholders on economic governance of the extractive and natural resources sector.
• Engages relevant stakeholders on economic governance of the natural resources sector to influence economic and financial laws and policies
• Guides the organisation in responding innovatively to any new economic developments in the natural resources and extractive sector.
• Completes any assignments or duties that may be requested by the Director or the Deputy Director
• Assists other project officers in implementing specific project activities within work competencies.
• Participates in the design of assigned fundraising proposals developed by the organization with a view to mainstreaming or incorporating economic governance issues that are relevant to the organisation’s programming
• Designs tailor made training modules and conducts trainings on natural resources governance in conformity with project goals and objectives of the organisation
• Explores mechanisms for engagement with government, corporates and quasi-government bodies including legal and economic governance experts
• Assesses reports on economic governance issues, in particular those related to mineral revenues across the minerals value chain including through the drafting of relevant analytical background reports, situational updates, food-for-thought papers and input to the organizational regular and thematic reporting
• Contributes to mobilizing necessary resources for the economic governance programme
• Leads the development, co-ordination and implementation of economic governance projects, in particular ensuring that they adequately comply to reporting and other MEAL arrangements
• Assists in arranging organizational events, inter alia, high level virtual engagements and visits to project areas for partners and other key stakeholders to demonstrate economic governance projects’ relevance and results
• Identifies regional and international stakeholders relevant for the fulfilment of the economic governance programme and creates and maintains work relationships for the benefit of the organization
Academic Qualifications and Work Experience
- A degree in Economics, Finance, Accounting Masters will be an added advantage
- At least 3 years’ experience working in the NGO sector/ relevant experience
- Knowledge of current discourse or trends on economic governance in natural resources sector Knowledge of Artisanal and Small-Scale Mining is an added advantage
- Experience in producing analytical research papers and knowledge products for diverse audiences
- Excellent command of the English Language
- Ability to use Microsoft Office software packages
- Good problem-solving abilities
- Effective communicator
- Team player
- Pays attention to detail
- Ability to work in a dynamic multi-cultural setting
- Send a copy of your application letter and CV with at least three (3) references to firstname.lastname@example.org and clearly state Economic Governance Officer in the email subject
- Submit a writing sample as evidence of your writing skills